Cat litter is an absolute necessity if you have a cat at home. Many cats adapt to any litter type easily, while others tend to become fussy with ones they did not use when they were kittens. Wood pellet cat litter is a great choice. Some cats take a while to get used to it due to the large particle and pine-fresh smell. Environmentally-conscious cat owners love this type of cat litter as it is so natural, eco-friendly and cost-effective. But how often to change wood pellet cat litter?
At Kittilitt, we have two types of finish – the original pellet or a crumb for smaller paws.
You should change your wood pellet cat litter completely at least once every two weeks. This super-absorbent biodegradable quality litter soaks up your cat’s mess until all the pellets disappear. When you notice the pellets have dissolved, it’s time to clean and replace all of the litter. The wood pellet litter will never smell while there are still pellets to soak up your cat’s business.
Ideally, you should spot-clean your cat litter tray every day. You will need to scoop out the cat poo and some of the sawdust daily when cleaning the wood pellet litter box. If the tray is left to become dirty and used, your cat may prefer to use the floor instead – not ideal in any household!
Wood pellet cat litter absorbs all liquid and odours and it crumbles into sawdust, which settles at the bottom of the litter box. The fresh wood pellets remain on the top. There are special sifting litter boxes on the market that remove the sawdust automatically.
Advantages of wood pellet cat litter
- It is one of the most cost-effective cat litters on the market.
- It is eco-friendly. Being made from wood, it is renewable, biodegradable and 100% sustainable.
- It does not get spread around the house as much as other types of the litter because it is too large to get stuck in a cat’s paws.
- It has less dust compared to other litter types.
- It is highly absorbent and can take more than 500% of its weight, allowing it to last longer since you don’t need as much. The high absorbency also helps with the smell as it neutralises odour soaking up urine.
- It smells good because it has the natural scent of wood.
When using wood pellet cat litter, be sure not to overfill the litter box since the pellets expand and swell up to three times their volume when they become wet. They should just cover the entire surface and should be about an inch in depth.
Wood pellet cat litter is the popular choice among cat owners because it is cost-effective and eco-friendly. But it has to be freshened up regularly. Most cat owners should change wood pellet cat litter completely every three weeks once they have regularly sifted out the used, soiled portion.